Spiced Lamb Stew
Serves 6, Prep Time 10 mins, Cooking time 1 hour 20 minutes
675g lean lamb shoulder, leg or neck fillet cut into 2.5cm cubes
30ml sunflower oil
1 onion peeled and quartered
2 garlic cloves peeled & crushed
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled & grated
1 tblsp tomato puree
2 tsp tabasco or chilli sauce, optional
25g plain flour, sieved
1.4l good hot lamb or vegetable stock
900g marrow or squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into 2.5cm cubes
2 large tomatoes chopped
400g can chick peas, drained
225g green cabbage, rinsed & finely shredded
salt & freshly milled black pepper
1. Preheat oven to Gas mark 3, 170c, 325f
2. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish, add the lamb and cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes until brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the tomato puree, tabasco or chilli sauce, and flour. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 45 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the marrow or squash, tomatoes and chick peas. Cover and return to oven for a further 30 mins.
5. Add the cabbage, season and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins.
6. Serve with plenty of hot crusty bread.